Welcome to our site. We are members of the Cheddar U3A Local History group and are investigating our village Cheddar in Somerset, England, as it was in the period spanning 1860 -1880s. The project was launched on 15th February, 2012 and members have chosen their own subjects to research within the time scale.
At the present time these include:
· Viscount Long’s estate (Hannam Manor) in Cheddar,
· Domestic receipts from the Gilling family records,
· The paper and textile factories,
· The local police, law and order including police houses,
· The inns and public houses,
· Cottages in Upper Cheddar Gorge,
· Houses in Kent Street,
· The shops in Bath and Cliff Street, (starting with Brice family),
· The Hall and Garden (Stagg and Birch family),
· The legacy of Sarah Comer,
· Graveyard surveys and census analysis,
· Misses Mason, schoolmistresses at Mason’s Private School for Girls
Articles will be posted under one of the above tabs and additional tabs will be added if necessary.
We would welcome feedback and in particular any additional or supporting information you may possess, so if you are interested, please feel free to join our site as a member and add your comments.